Subject: High impasto oil paintings

High impasto oil paintings

From: Grazia Nicosia <nicosia<-a>
Date: Wednesday, May 11, 2005
I am carrying out a postgraduate study for the second year now,
supported by the French government (conservation grant allocated by
the Centre National des Arts Plastiques). The theme of this research
project is the technology and conservation of modern high impasto
oil paintings on textile support. My study is developing around the
work of Eugene Leroy (1910 - 2000), a French painter and
contemporary of Riopelle and Borduas, having used very heavy impasto
paint. His extremely heavy paint layers are under extreme constraint
and still for a long time in polymerisation.

Should you have treated or treat heavy impasto paint from around
that period and have gained particular experience doing so, if you
have made particular observations as to their aging, special
behaviour or particularities of degradation and/or done research on
aspects of high impasto paint, I would much appreciate if you would
share your experience with me. Perhaps you could also indicate
research, publications and else which I might not have perceived as
yet.

Grazia Nicosia de Terris
Paintings Conservator-restorer
+33 4 90 85 29 19