Subject: Source for porphyry sought

Source for porphyry sought

From: Vanessa Simeoni <vanessa.simeoni<-a>
Date: Tuesday, May 3, 2005
Conservation and restoration work to one of the Cosmatesque
Pavements here at Westminster Abbey has led us to attempt sourcing
two of the ancient stones that make up this Pavement. At present we
are finding it difficult to obtain both green Porphyry (from Sparta)
and Purple/Imperial Porphyry (from Egypt) from reputable sources. We
would like to acquire a small quantity of both for possible
restoration of known areas of missing pattern in the Pavement.  If
anyone has any samples that they would like to donate or sell, or
knows of any reputable sources from which to obtain these materials
then please let me know.  We have a variety of the green and purple
in the Pavement so matching is not a problem.

Vanessa Simeoni
Conservation Dept.
Westminster Abbey

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 14, 2005