Subject: Labelling plastic

Labelling plastic

From: Vanessa Roth <vanessaroth<-a>
Date: Thursday, April 28, 2005
Dianne Reuby <d.reuby [at] ntlworld__com> writes

>I've been looking into labelling our items, but I have found very
>little information available on the best way of labelling plastics.

I have also been looking into this problem recently, and found
little information in the literature.  The solution I initially
decided on was to apply a layer of Mowilith DM4 onto the object and
write the number with a water based CD marker.  The adhesive sticks
quite well, but can easily be peeled off if you need to.  Our stores
coordinator was not happy with the thickness of the CD marker tip.
We are now looking at using a Pental Hybrid gel ink pen instead.
They are also water based and come in various colours including
white, which is useful for marking dark coloured plastics.
Unfortunately I'm running low on Mowilith DM4 and finding it
difficult to obtain, but I'm sure other conservation quality
emulsion type adhesives would be suitable.

Vanessa Roth
Objects Conservator
Art Gallery of Western Australia

                  Distributed: Saturday, May 14, 2005