Subject: Early 20th century paper repair

Early 20th century paper repair

From: Christine Smith <consartpap<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 26, 2005
Is anyone familiar with the term "plaster" to describe mends or
fills to paper objects?  I have treatment reports from the first two
decades of the 20th century describing work done in the U.S.  I do
not know whether this was a word coincidentally chosen by the writer
or whether it represents either a generic or specific material or
technique.  I would appreciate hearing from anyone who has seen this
term and knows what it was describing.

Christine Smith
Conservation of Art on Paper, Inc.
2805 Mount Vernon Avenue