Subject: Silk pole screen

Silk pole screen

From: Helen Slade <helen.slade<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2005
I am about to start work on a small painted silk pole screen
(Firescreen) dated c 1802.  The original glazing was missing and the
painted silk is very soiled, and water stained.  The ground silk
satin is also very soiled and extremely brittle.  It is shattered
around the edges where it was attached to its supporting board.  The
paint is thought to be gouache.  I have sacrificial ground silk from
the back of the screen which can be used for tests but no paint
fragments.

Treatment brief is to make safe, for display in a room setting in a
replica  frame with glass.  This will involve cleaning, and using an
adhesive treatment to apply the painting to a new support fabric and
replacing in the replica frame.

I have received conflicting recommendations for treatment:

    Dried wheat starch paste  (very dry to avoid water stains)
    Solvent activated adhesives Klucel G or Lascaux

Has anyone any experience of a similar treatment to a gouache
painted silk? If so what was the preferred adhesive?

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 26, 2005