Subject: Smoke damage

Smoke damage

From: Steven Prins <sprins1102<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 13, 2005
We have recently received a number of smoke damaged paintings for
treatment. We have found that they can be cleaned satisfactorily,
i.e. all visible accretions removed from surfaces. But many retain a
significant residual odor of smoke. This seems in large part to be
due to volatile materials that have impregnated the wood and fabric
of the paintings. I am writing in the hope of getting current
information and opinions on possible treatment options. In
particular, I have two questions:

    1.  What is the current thinking on ozone? Is it safe for use on
        paintings? What are the potential deleterious effects?

    2.  What other methods/materials are available for deodorizing.
        Has anyone developed a systematic method for batch treatment
        of object such as paintings?

Steven Prins
Conservator of Paintings
Steven Prins and Company