Subject: Lining tapa

Lining tapa

From: John Wright <pono<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Ivonne Geisler <geisler.ivonne [at] gmx__de> writes

>I am working at a painted tapa from Fiji. This has to be lined.
>Unfortunately water causes stains. Does anyone has experiences with
>synthetic resins onto tapa?

The message was unclear as to why the tapa piece had to be lined.
First, you might want to consider that the item is a work of art on
paper, which in a sense it is. Not knowing all the details, I
suggest you seriously consider lining the piece with plain bark
cloth, tapa, from either Fiji or Samoa (but not Tonga). I will be in
Fiji in September and will be pleased to discuss the matter with the
Fiji Museum, if you wish. Do you have access to SIAPO: Bark Cloth
Art of Samoa, by Mary Pritchard, photography by John C. Wright,
1984, now sadly out of print. One of Mary's granddaughters has a
website <siapo.com> and through it you can, in fact, order tapa. We
can send you instructions for using it. Please feel free to contact
me John Cotton Wright <pono<-a t->hawaii411< . >com>. Aloha,

John Cotton Wright

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 26, 2005