Subject: Lining tapa

Lining tapa

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Ivonne Geisler <geisler.ivonne [at] gmx__de> writes

>I am working at a painted tapa from Fiji. This has to be lined.
>Unfortunately water causes stains. Does anyone has experiences with
>synthetic resins onto tapa?

There was a lack of relevant data in this query.

What does water move?

I have restored traditional tapa from small pieces, measuring
approx. 9 X 12 inches, to pieces measuring upwards of 6 X 18 feet,
using wheat starch paste and Japanese paper, and water has never
caused a problem.

Based upon the limited information provided, it is possible that the
stains are absorbed pollutants which might best be washed away.

Jack
Thompson Conservation Lab
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217