Subject: Conservation of sacred objects

Conservation of sacred objects

From: Beth Heller <bheller<-a>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2005
Joanna McMann <archmuse [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am studying Conservation at Fleming College in Peterborough,
>Ontario. I am writing a paper on the considerations (including
>ethical) when faced with treating sacred objects and/or sacred
>writings. I have read the archived thread re: Jack Thomson's
>experience with the Torah scrolls, which is actually the inspiration
>for my paper. My focus will be on Jewish sacred writings, but I
>would like to hear from others in the field who have encountered
>sacred objects/writings in the course of their work ...

You may find the following book of interest:

    Ogden, Sherelyn, ed.,
    Caring for American Indian Objects: A practical and cultural
    guide, Minnesota Historical Society Press, 2004

The first section deals with cultural considerations in the care of
American Indian items.  I have found it to be extremely informative.

Beth Heller
Conservation Intern
Minnesota Historical Society

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 26, 2005