Subject: Adhesive for inflatable PVC object

Adhesive for inflatable PVC object

From: Valerie Tomlinson <valerie_tomlinson<-a>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2005
Marie-Chantale Poisson <mcpoisson [at] gallery__ca> writes

>I am looking for an adhesive to re-adhere the valve of an inflatable
>object made of clear PVC.  The damaged valve is also made of clear
>PVC (same type as for inflatable toys used in pools) ...

I would think that Acryloid B72 would be well suited to this
situation and suggest trying a variety of tests with different
solvents. With B72 in solvents like toluene, the toluene would
probably dissolve the plastic in the artifact--the advantage being a
strong bond, but the disadvantage being possible deformation of the
artifact, and an irreversible treatment. Solvents like ethanol would
be less likely to affect the object, but would be not as strong. You
could also test other Acryloid resins if you wanted.

Valerie Tomlinson
Conservator between contracts
presently Librarian at ARI

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 26, 2005