Subject: Adhesive for inflatable PVC object

Adhesive for inflatable PVC object

From: Louise Cone <louise.cone<-a>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2005
Marie-Chantale Poisson <mcpoisson [at] gallery__ca> writes

>I am looking for an adhesive to re-adhere the valve of an inflatable
>object made of clear PVC.  The damaged valve is also made of clear
>PVC (same type as for inflatable toys used in pools) ...

I have patched clear PVC with BEVA-film adhesive. It has a
refractive index close enough to PVC (in this case degraded clear
PVC)  to make an invisible patch.  It is also flexible. One minus is
that it is not strong, and I don't know if it would be air tight.
BEVA is a thermoplastic which requires heat to apply, making it
unsuitable for use in many heat sensitive plastics.  In my
experience it depends on the amount of plasticiser present.  Another
option could be the use of a very thin double sided tape,  which
would allow you to place a patch of suitable clear plastic (such as
PE) on top of the tape without the use of heat or viscous adhesives.
Good luck,

Louise Cone
Nordisk Kunstkonservering
Copenhagen, Denmark