Subject: Bleached cap tissue

Bleached cap tissue

From: Simon Barcham Green <simongreen<-a>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2005
Carol Brynjolfson <carolb [at] vanmuseum__bc__ca> writes

>Emma Herrity <museum [at] broxbchf__demon__co__uk> writes
>
>>Has anyone heard of an acid-free paper substitute called MG bleached
>>cap tissue?  I have a huge amount of it in my museum, inherited from
>>my predecessor, and wonder if it is safe to use in the same way as
>>acid-free paper?
>
>Cap tissue is the cheap tissue used by stores (for packing ceramics,
>clothing, etc).  If it is bleached, it is not likely acid-free, but
>try testing it with a pH pen or other pH testing method to be
>certain.  Even if it tests neutral or alkaline, due to buffering,
>you should be cautious about its use.

Further to this discussion, people should be aware that the term
"acid free tissue" covers a whole range of products and, whilst I
have not tested any for some years, some certainly used to be
actually acidic. Suppliers often know nothing about conservation and
are liberal with the use of expression. It is worth Googling "acid
free tissue" to get an idea of the diversity but I would caution
readers to be sure that their supplier knows what they are talking
about, knows what your requirements are--and is reliable.

Simon

                  Distributed: Tuesday, April 26, 2005