Subject: Support for large ceramic

Support for large ceramic

From: Linda S. Roundhill <artsconservation<-a>
Date: Monday, April 11, 2005
Naoko Fukumaru <naokofukumaru [at] yahoo__com> writes

>We are currently planning to de-install a large 320 BC ceramic
>volute krater (120.0cm x 70.0cm) from the Greek and Roman gallery at
>the Detroit Institute of Arts for conservation. The krater was
>broken into many fragments and poorly restored. We are looking for a
>safe way to transport it to the conservation lab, which is located
>to in the same building, as well as safe method to disassemble
>krater. ...

Just a suggestion, though I have not tried it:

I imagine it might be possible to coat the outside with
cyclododecane, reinforced with gauze or strips of some synthetic
fabric to strengthen. Then make a foam insert out of a lightweight
material, perhaps lining with polyethylene sheet and then filling
with polystyrene, allowing it to go a few inches above the rim. When
set, the foam can be cut flat across the top and then the crater
could be carefully inverted, resting on the base of foam and
transported that way, taking stress off the foot.  This would keep
any loose pieces from being lost and also prevent implosion due to
handling. The cyclododecane would volatilize slowly (or warmed up
and removed more quickly area by area) and then the item assessed
for future treatment.  The rim fragments at the bottom of the
inverted vessel could be slowly detached one at a time, working
one's way up to the foot.  If the structure becomes weak,
reinforcement could be re-applied while disassembly takes place
below. As you go up, small supporting wood sticks could be inserted
into the foam to keep heavy fragments from slipping down
prematurely.

Without seeing it I couldn't say if this is really a good plan or
not, but it is just what came to mind.

Linda S. Roundhill
Art and Antiquities Conservation
18121 157th Ave NE