Subject: Book with wooden boards

Book with wooden boards

From: Jack C. Thompson <tcl<-a>
Date: Friday, April 15, 2005
Cyril Formby <formbys [at] tiscali__co__uk> writes

>I am currently working on a 14th century lectionary, of which a
>quarter of the front board has been lost due to decay and woodworm.
>I would appreciate any advice on the best way to repair the board to
>enable the new leather thongs to be laced onto the boards.  The
>leather is still sound.

What I do in this instance is to reduce an air-dried oak board to
the required thickness and then adhere it with hide glue, using a
half-lap joint, to the original board.

I've e-mailed a couple of JPEG images to Cyril to show what I mean.

Jack
Thompson Conservation Lab.
7549 N. Fenwick
Portland, Oregon  97217