Subject: Source for rolled cotton sought

Source for rolled cotton sought

From: Pamela Betts <pambetts<-a>
Date: Tuesday, April 19, 2005
Rustin Levenson <rustinfl [at] aol__com> writes

>We are no longer able to purchase Johnson and Johnson Red Cross
>Rolled Cotton.  Does anyone have a good long chain cotton
>substitute?

As you know, Johnson and Johnson, has discontinued its rolled sheet
cotton (Red Cross Brand) indefinitely. When asked for a replacement
product, a Johnson and Johnson spokesperson suggested Kendal Curity.
At this time, most of Johnson and Johnson's distributors are
offering the brands Dukal or US Cotton.

Last June, an very informal survey of some of the available options
was undertaken by some of the painting and frame conservators at the
NGA, rating the cotton for use in conservation work. The poll takers
considered such factors as length of fibers, softness, smoothness,
etc. We have found that the quality varies considerably, and we
recommend asking for samples or at least requesting small orders of
new brands before purchasing.

Of course preferences will vary due to personal taste and intended
use. Prices reflect those advertised during May 2004. We would be
interested to know what other brands people prefer for conservation
use. The following list includes the cotton surveyed (more or less
in descending order of preference) and general comments (see also
note below):

    Johnson and Johnson Health Systems: Discontinued Indefinitely
    Product: Red Cross Brand First Aid Rolled Cotton 16 Oz. (Product
    No. 6026)
    425 Hoes Lane
    PO Box 6800
    Piscataway, NJ 08855
    800-255-2500
    Note: Recommended Kendal Curity Product No. 6030 as replacement

    Hanna's Pharmaceutical Supply Company
    ($100 per case 25, $3.98 per roll)
    Somewhat long fibers, soft, rolls well, some nubs, general
    favorite of those tested
    Product: DE Healthcare Products Rolled Cotton 1 pound
    roll (Item No. 08-14426-E)
    2505 West Sixth St
    Wilmington, DE 19805
    302-571-8761 (Contact Patty)

    Dukal Corporation
    ($53.75 per Case of 25 one pound rolls)
    Shorter fibers, soft, rolls well, less nubs than above
    Product: Dukal One Pound Cotton Roll 16 Oz. (Reorder #CR1-25)
    5 Plant Ave.
    Hauppauge, NY 11788
    631-656-3800
    Note: Also distributed through Mercy Surgical Supply
    888-637-2909) who used to be the distributor for Johnson and
    Johnson

    Personna Cotton
    ($154 per Case of 12 one pound rolls):
    Fairly long fibers, soft, rolls well, slightly more nubs
    Product: Personna Sterile Cotton Roll 16 Oz. (Product No.
    79410016)
    Distributed through Starline Medical by Tryco, Incorporated
    6736 Old McLean Village Drive
    McLean, VA 22101
    800-934-3452 (Contact is Nicole Flesch)
    tryco<-a t->tryco< . >org
    Note: Call or visit Personna website for local area distributor
    800-497-7827
    <URL:http://www.starlinemedical.com/)

    Practical Cotton
    ($8.95 per roll OR $173.75 per Case of 25 one pound rolls)
    Very short fibers, soft, rolls well
    Product: American Fiber and Finishing Practical Cotton Wool 16
    Oz Roll (Item No. TCD 105001)
    Talas (distributor)
    568 Broadway
    New York, NY 10012
    212-219-0770
    <URL:http://www.talasonline.com>
    info<-a t->talasonline< . >com

    US Cotton
    ($112 per Case of 20 one pound rolls)
    Relatively short fibers, nubs, somewhat scratchy, rolls ok
    401 Marshall Rd
    Valley Park, MO
    888-835-8029 (Kim in Sales ext. 1126.
    Shirley in Samples ext. 1122)
    Product: Sterile Absorbent Cotton Roll 16 Oz. (Product No.
    79410016)

    Kendal Curity
    ($14.62 per bag or $297.39 for case of 25 rolls)
    Noticeably nubby texture, fairly short fibers, rolls ok
    Product:  Curity Lakeside Cotton Roll (product # 6030)
    Tyco Health Care

    C&P Healthcare Inc.
    ($52 for Case of 25 one pound rolls)
    Rough and scratchy, synthetic feel, tough to pull apart, does
    not roll as well
    Product: C&P Sterile Cotton Roll 16 Oz. (Item No. 5501)
    106 Ferry St.
    Fall River, MA 02721
    800-626-5582508-675-0181

    Fisher Scientific
    ($18.98 per roll OR $474.50 for Case of 25 one pound rolls)
    Many, many nubs, more expensive, unanimous last place finisher
    Product: Absorbent Sanitary Cotton 16 Oz. (Cat. No. 07-900)
    800-766-7000
    <URL:https://www1.fishersci.com/index.jsp>

Note: One brand not included in the survey but preferred by one
conservator at the NGA is called Webril Wipes, which are made from
100% cotton that is spun into sheets and perforated for easy tears.
Her opinion is the cotton is easy to roll with some manipulation and
practice, and although the fibers are on the short side, the rolled
swabs do not leave fibers behind. Available from

    Village Supplies, Ltd.
    product #8178
    $8.99/ roll 3802
    West 127th Place Alsip IL 60803