Subject: Jewish quilts

Jewish quilts

From: Molly Sheren <sheren.molly<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 6, 2005
The following is posted on behalf of Joan Watkins-Hamelberg

    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to the author
    or phamelberg<-a t->exit109< . >com

    I am a member of and Regional Coordinator for an organization
    called American Quilt Study Group.  This organization's mission
    is the preservation of our quilt heritage.  It is headquartered
    in Nebraska, U.S.A. at the University of Nebraska.  It holds an
    annual seminar at which research papers involving some aspect of
    quilt history are presented and published in a book for all
    members, produces a quarterly newsletter, and, finally,
    encourages the formation of local or regional quilt study
    groups.

    Many members of our group grew up around women who were quilt
    makers, so quilts were part of their childhood and they have
    many wonderful memories of this part of their early years.  I am
    from a family in which there were no quilt makers, and the
    neighborhood in which I spent the first 30 years of my life had
    no quilt makers.  You are probably wondering why I am writing to
    you about all of this.  Well, I grew up in a Jewish
    neighborhood, and I recently have  been questioning if quilt
    making was an aspect of Jewish tradition at any point in
    history.  At our local quilt study group, we have seen many
    examples of quilts made by Quakers, Mennonites, Amish and other
    groups.  I would like to search for examples of quilts made by
    Jewish women (or men!), and I thought that perhaps you could
    shed some light on the subject.  I would very much appreciate
    any information that you might be able to offer.

    Joan Watkins-Hamelberg
    phamelberg<-a t->exit109< . >com

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 14, 2005