Subject: Bleached cap tissue

Bleached cap tissue

From: Carol Brynjolfson <carolb<-a>
Date: Monday, April 11, 2005
Emma Herrity <museum [at] broxbchf__demon__co__uk> writes

>Has anyone heard of an acid-free paper substitute called MG bleached
>cap tissue?  I have a huge amount of it in my museum, inherited from
>my predecessor, and wonder if it is safe to use in the same way as
>acid-free paper?

Cap tissue is the cheap tissue used by stores (for packing ceramics,
clothing, etc).  If it is bleached, it is not likely acid-free, but
try testing it with a pH pen or other pH testing method to be
certain.  Even if it tests neutral or alkaline, due to buffering,
you should be cautious about its use.

Carol Brynjolfson
Vancouver Museum

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 14, 2005