Subject: Conservation of sacred objects

Conservation of sacred objects

From: Barbara Appelbaum <aandh<-a>
Date: Monday, April 11, 2005
Joanna McMann <archmuse [at] hotmail__com> writes

>I am studying Conservation at Fleming College in Peterborough,
>Ontario. I am writing a paper on the considerations (including
>ethical) when faced with treating sacred objects and/or sacred
>writings. I have read the archived thread re: Jack Thomson's
>experience with the Torah scrolls, which is actually the inspiration
>for my paper. My focus will be on Jewish sacred writings, but I
>would like to hear from others in the field who have encountered
>sacred objects/writings in the course of their work ...

There was a special edition of the AIC Journal, volume 31 #1, Spring
1992, with papers given at an AIC meeting, that included excellent
articles on the conservation of sacred objects: on African objects,
Russian icons, North American Indian cultural material, Jewish
sacred objects, and Tibetan sculpture.

B. Appelbaum
Appelbaum and Himmelstein
444 Central Park West