Subject: Colibri Cover Book System

Colibri Cover Book System

From: Kristin Alana Baum <kristin-baum<-a>
Date: Wednesday, April 6, 2005
Harry Campbell <campbell.12 [at] osu__edu> writes

>The Collection Maintenance Division here at the Ohio State
>University Libraries is interested in obtaining information
>regarding the Colibri Cover Book System. ...

Our preservation department at the University of Iowa Libraries has
used the CoLibri Cover Book system for approximately 6 years.  Our
book repair supervisor, Susan Hansen, uses the CoLibri Cover Book
System for a number of situations:  "to help preserve the paper dust
jackets and soft covers of Special Collections volumes; to protect
art library volumes with "special" covers, such as cut-outs or
cloth; to extend the life of general collections soft-cover volumes
with important images; as well as to contain red rot in any
department's collections.  We also fashion small pouches with top
flaps for the miniature book collection in Special Collections and
provide them with larger pouches (with 20 pt. stiffening inserts)
for thin items."

I will add this additional comment:  we have found the CoLibri
sealing bar to require occasional maintenance or replacement. We
have replaced our sealing bar twice in the time that we have been
using the system. I believe, at present, a replacement bar runs
approximately $150. Overall, we have been quite pleased with the
system and have no hesitation in recommending it.

Kristin Baum

                 Distributed: Thursday, April 14, 2005