Subject: Storing corroded iron

Storing corroded iron

From: Christoph Waller <cwaller<-a>
Date: Monday, April 4, 2005
Very dry storage seems to be an excellent method to prevent further
corrosion of metals like archaeological iron. Desiccant bags
containing molecular sieves, in combination with high-performance
barrier foils, offer the possibility to maintain humidity close to
0% RH inside a sealed bag for several decades. Some customers asked
if such extremely dry atmospheres could lead to shrinkage and
cracking of corrosion layers. From my experience I would say no, but
does anybody know any solid research on this?

Christoph Waller
Long Life for Art
Im Bueckle 4
D - 79288 Gottenheim