Subject: Support for large ceramic

Support for large ceramic

From: Naoko Fukumaru <naokofukumaru<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 24, 2005
We are currently planning to de-install a large 320 BC ceramic
volute krater (120.0cm x 70.0cm) from the Greek and Roman gallery at
the Detroit Institute of Arts for conservation. The krater was
broken into many fragments and poorly restored. We are looking for a
safe way to transport it to the conservation lab, which is located
to in the same building, as well as safe method to disassemble
krater. Has anyone ever worked on a restored ceramic of this size?
Does anyone know of any publications, which discuss these kinds of
issues?

Naoko Fukumaru
Assistant conservator in the Conservation of Sculpture and
    Decorative Art
The Detroit Institute of Arts
Center for Conservation
5200 Woodward Ave.