Subject: Conservation grants

Conservation grants

From: Michael J. Deegan Jr. <mjdeegan<-a>
Date: Monday, March 21, 2005
My department is attempting to upgrade its conservation facility.
One specific item needed is a non-vacuum freeze dryer (desiccator),
as well as a laundry list of chemicals (EDTA, PEG, microcrystalline
wax, silica gel) needed for the conservation, stabilization, and
long-term preservation of archaeological materials such as textiles,
leather, wood, and iron. Presently, budgetary constraints will not
allow the department to cover the costs for these materials.

I am presently searching for a state or federal agency, institution,
museum, etc., that offers conservation grants to academic
departments such as my own, Michigan Tech.  My best estimates
indicate that I will need approximately $2500-3000, thus it is my
intention to only seek that amount.  I would very much appreciate
any response or advice assisting my search for these funds.

Michael J Deegan Jr
MS Candidate- Historical and Industrial Archaeology
Michigan Technological University
1400 Townsend Drive
Houghton, MI 49931

                  Distributed: Saturday, April 9, 2005