Subject: Amber provenance

Amber provenance

From: Stefan Simon <s.simon<-a>
Date: Monday, March 21, 2005
    **** Moderator's comments: Please respond directly to the author.

The Rathgen Research Laboratory at the National Museums in Berlin
has worked extensively on characterisation of amber by Py GC-MS. In
the past decade, Gerhard Heck was working  on grouping  and
classifying ambers of various provenance. In order to extend the
data base, we are now looking for further reference materials. Our
supply of Baltic amber is sufficient, as is our stock on amber from
Meso-America, the Middle East and Japan. However, we are lacking
amber samples from North America, Australia, Birma, Caucasus,
Nigeria, Spain, Italy (Appenin) and Sweden. For one measurement, the
amount corresponding to a poppy-seed is entirely sufficient. We also
appreciate detailed information on finding location etc., and offer
to share our results with the donors.

Stefan Simon
Direktor
Rathgen Forschungslabor - Staatliche Museen zu Berlin
Schlossstrasse 1A
D - 14059 Berlin
+49 30 3267 4910
Fax: +49 30 3267 4912