Subject: Conservation of sacred objects

Conservation of sacred objects

From: Michael Maggen <maggen<-a>
Date: Saturday, March 26, 2005
Joanna McMann <archmuse<-a t->hotmail< . >com> writes

>I am studying Conservation at Fleming College in Peterborough,
>Ontario. I am writing a paper on the considerations (including
>ethical) when faced with treating sacred objects and/or sacred
>writings. I have read the archived thread re: Jack Thomson's
>experience with the Torah scrolls, which is actually the inspiration
>for my paper. My focus will be on Jewish sacred writings, but I
>would like to hear from others in the field who have encountered
>sacred objects/writings in the course of their work ...

The subject and other important topics regarding religion and
conservation was given a special meeting organize by  ICCROM (Rome
2003 )under the name "Living Religious Heritage". This meeting
included many aspect of conservation and religion and invited
representatives of different religion referred at this meeting to
all sort of dilemmas and questions regarding this important topic.
Proceedings of this fruitful meeting are now in the final process
before publication and as I expect this will be in the next few
months to come. My contribution for this meeting naturally was
focused on Jewish heritage with regard to conservation, based on my
experience  working in the Israel museum Paper Conservation
Laboratory  more than 20 years. So I hope you'll find many answers
and important issues once this publication will be released sometime
in the near future.

Michael Maggen
Head of Paper Conservation
The Israel Museum Jerusalem,