Subject: Wooden object

Wooden object

From: Jane Foley <jfcfoley<-a>
Date: Monday, March 21, 2005
I am examining a mechanical museum object which is degrading badly
in specific areas. It is a 'circus' parade manufactured between the
1950s and late 1960s. Some parts are wood some are plastic. The wood
is stable.

The painted plastic objects (moulded horses and people), are
exhibiting salts on the surface, distortion of the plastic
substrate, brittleness and extensive paint loss. The two main paint
colours are red oxide and grey. The exposed metal parts are rusting.

The exhibit is in an unsealed wooden and Plexiglass case. There is a
storage area behind . On the other side of the wall behind this
storage space is a large childrens' play area complete with several
large water filled objects--exposed and smelling strongly of
chlorine. My first reaction was humidity and chlorine effects. The
storage area smells all right but there is a pungent smell inside
the circus exhibit.

I have asked for 24 atmospheric readings and meanwhile am putting
out feelers for someone with knowledge of 1950-60s plastics and
their corrosion mechanisms.

Can anyone advise?

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 3, 2005