Subject: Leafcaster

Leafcaster

From: Liz Branigan <elizabeth.branigan<-a>
Date: Friday, March 18, 2005
We have a leafcaster that has a persistent problem with one or more
whirlpools forming in the repair areas as the water drains away.
This sometimes causes a disturbance in the pulp as it settles and
leaves a weak area in the repair. We have tries numerous things to
try to get rid of this problem--putting in different 'hats' over the
central drainage hole to try to break up the flow of water, raising
the grid in the casting sink to increase the distance from the hole,
trying various speeds and times on the vacuum, etc.

I should say that this also happens when we empty the casting area
manually without the vacuum. We also have a problem (that is a new
one) that pressing the pulse button to start the water emptying to
the bottom tank doesn't start the siphonic action which would
achieve this i.e. when the vacuum cuts out the water stops moving.
Do other people have this problem of whirlpools with their
leafcaster? Are we trying to stop something that is an inherent
problem with these machines? Or if that is not the case is there
anything more we can try? I would be very grateful to hear of other
peoples experience.

Liz Branigan
Senior Conservator
Durham University Library