Subject: Colibri Cover Book System

Colibri Cover Book System

From: Jane Cullinane <jcullinane<-a>
Date: Friday, March 18, 2005
Harry Campbell <campbell.12 [at] osu__edu> writes

>The Collection Maintenance Division here at the Ohio State
>University Libraries is interested in obtaining information
>regarding the Colibri Cover Book System. ...

The Connecticut State Library has used this system for three or four
years, chiefly for red-rot leather law books and for books with
covers that need  repair. We use CoLibri on general collection books
that won't go to the bindery. (They might be too brittle or might be
little used and, thus, not selected for binding.)

The CoLibri covers keep the red-rot off your hands. Call number
labels stick to the plastic so ident-a-strips don't fall to the
floor. In addition, if one or both covers are detached, we can use a
CoLibri cover, and thread a red ribbon through the plastic to hold
the book together. This helps keep the  ribbon from landing on the
floor when a member of the public opens the book in the stacks.

A discussion about the CoLibri system appeared on the Preservation
Administrator's Discussion List in 2003 and can be found by
searching the archive in CoOL
    <URL:http://palimpsest.stanford.edu/byform/mailing-lists/padg/>

Jane F. Cullinane
Preservation Librarian, Collection Management Unit
Connecticut State Library
231 Capitol Ave.
Hartford CT 06106-1537
860-757-6524