Subject: Silverfish

Silverfish

From: Rachel White <rachel.white<-a>
Date: Friday, March 18, 2005
Ben Hodgetts <antiquesman [at] bigpond__com__au> writes

>Sandra Smith <sandra_smith [at] nthp__org> writes
>
>>One of our historic sites is suffering from an infestation of
>>silverfish in an attic collections storage area. ...
>
>There is a product that [plugs into your electrical socket that
>emits a low frequency  that rids the premises of all insect. This is
>used extensively in American schools and has passed Health and
>Safety requirements in Australia.
I've had a look into a few sources of information on plug in pest
control and it seems that they are not necessarily successful.
Choice magazine (a publication in Australia that compares and checks
products for effectiveness) mentions that these products don't work
and they have some information on the science of this. Both of these
following links are for that magazine's site:

        <URL:http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?
            id=102089&catId=100447&tid=100008&p=3>

        <URL:http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?
            id=102089&catId=100447&tid=100008&p=1>

Also, a company that sells some of these types of products has been
found by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission to have
made misleading statements about the effectiveness of the products.
<URL:http://www.accc.gov.au/content/index.phtml/itemId/489751>

Obviously, if this option is to be considered some research into the
effectiveness of these products should be considered.

    **** Moderator's comments: The above URL has been wrapped for
    email. There should be no newline.

Rachel White
Science post-graduate student