Subject: Conservation of sacred objects

Conservation of sacred objects

From: Annie Hall <ahall<-a>
Date: Friday, March 18, 2005
Joanna McMann <archmuse [at] hotmail__com> writes

>.... My focus will be on Jewish sacred writings, but I
>would like to hear from others in the field who have encountered
>sacred objects/writings in the course of their work ...

I focused the ethical considerations required for the treatment of a
Tibetan religious sculpture, for the final year research project of
my MA in the RCA/V&A Conservation programme, in the UK in 2001.
This was a case study focusing on the treatment of the sculpture
within a decorative arts museum context, and explored many of the
points you raise. The study has been published in the most recent
UKIC journal The Conservator, Number 28 2004. Although it focuses on
Tibetan material, you may find some of the references useful.

Annie Hall
Objects Conservator
Auckland War Memorial Museum
Tamaki Paenga Hira