Subject: Microwave fumigation

Microwave fumigation

From: Ian Bates - Sage Old Books <sage<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 17, 2005
Sebastian Georgiew <sebastian [at] students__lincoln__ac__uk>

>I am currently researching the possibility to use microwave heat as
>a way to eradicate insects in wooden objects.

Although microwave technology is not my area of expertise, I note
that some local wood workers use microwave ovens to *kiln dry* their
green timber prior to working it. I am told this has the same effect
as conventional kiln drying, which takes months.

I would therefore suspect micro waving timber objects to eradicate
insects may also effect the wood structure, or at least its moisture
content. This might, then, be an unsatisfactory conservation
technique as it could cause shrinkage, warping or cracking of the
object.

Ian Bates
Sage Old Books
PO Box 51