Subject: Acrylic wood sealants

Acrylic wood sealants

From: Niccolo Caldararo <caldararo<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 22, 2005
Dominic Wall <dominic_wall [at] yahoo__co__uk> writes

>If anyone can advise on acrylic wood sealants I'd be grateful. The
>joiner wanted to apply a polyurethane varnish initially (more
>hard-wearing than acrylic) but as I knew nothing about this and had
>little time to find little information and advice on its suitability
>I suggested an acrylic instead.

You might obtain a copy of the Objects Specialty Group Postprints
for the AIC meeting in Albuquerque in 1991.   Donna Strahan reports
on her experiments with wood sealants for display cases in part one
of a series of work she and her associates had undertaken.   Donna
is now Head of Conservation at the Asian Art Museum in San Francisco
and you might want to contact her before you design further
experiments yourself.   It is always best to build on the work of
others and to thereby reduce guess work.

Niccolo Caldararo
Director and Chief Conservator
Conservation Art Service

                   Distributed: Sunday, April 3, 2005