Subject: Mulsolex

Mulsolex

From: Tobit Curteis <tc<-a>
Date: Monday, March 14, 2005
We are investigating a 19th century wall painting in the UK treated
in the mid 1970s with a material referred to as Mulsolex Polymer
Glaze. This material was applied to the paint layer in a solution of
1 part Mulsolex to five parts water. It sounds like an acrylic
dispersion or a PVA/PVOH etc. and appears to have been applied as a
consolidant or fixative. However, we have been unable to find any
reference to it in the literature and none of the conservators
working in the area at the time have heard of it. Any information
about Mulsolex and it's use in conservation would be much
appreciated.

Tobit Curteis
Tobit Curteis Associates
36 Abbey Road