Subject: Blue wool scales

Blue wool scales

From: Jerry Shiner <jshiner<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 15, 2005
Helena Jaeschke <helena.jaeschke [at] exeter__gov__uk> writes

>Can anyone advise on a suitable spectrophotometer, colorimeter or
>other instrument to use to measure the degree of fading of Blue Wool
>fabric samples so that we can calculate the amount of light in
>luxhours to which they have been exposed?  The National Trust runs a
>brilliant scheme to measure light exposure in their properties,
>using a Minolta spectrophotometer, but they are running at full
>capacity and cannot read samples for other museums.

The LiDo project has developed a range of light sensitive indicators
of cumulative illumination, now being marketed as LightCheck strips.
As these indicator strips absorb light, they change colour. The
resulting colours can be compared to a chart to indicate the total
amount of light absorbed.

The LightCheck strips may be purchased directly from:

    Keepsafe Systems
    <URL:http://www.keepsafe.ca>

or

    LightCheck
    <URL:http://www.lightcheck.co.uk>

Both sites provide ample links to explain the history, development
and suggested use of the strips.

Jerry Shiner
Keepsafe Systems

                 Distributed: Wednesday, March 16, 2005