Subject: Methyl bromide

Methyl bromide

From: Ele von Monschaw <evonmonschaw<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 9, 2005
Jill Plitnikas <jplitnikas [at] hotmail__com> writes

>Artifact crates from a travelling exhibition are being fumigated
>with methyl bromide (no other option) before being returned to Asia.
>We are interested in any recommendations on the amount of time for
>off-gassing before packing the artifacts (mixed metal, ceramic,
>cellulose and protein fibre textiles, paper), and any experience or
>knowledge of reactions between methyl bromide and the closed cell
>polyethylene foam used in the crate construction and padding?

We are asking us the same question, as the European Union has
committed for the 1st March 2005 to the "ISPM15".

It concerns a certificate of softwood of which most of our large
stock of crates for the transport of paintings is made off. We are
hesitant to get all crates fumigated with ME (methyl bromide), not
knowing how long off gassing will take and if the art material would
react with ME.

For some crates overseas transport requires a certificate not older
than 28 days. (Australia).

Alternatively we can order with every loan crates made of heat
treated wood as it would comply with the ISPM15, or avoid wood
totally. There are crates out there working on the base of extreme
good insulation, and therefore not in need of excess amount of
organic material buffering the RH.

Elline von Monschaw, MA
National Gallery of Ireland

                  Distributed: Monday, March 14, 2005