Subject: Insect infestations in vehicle upholstery

Insect infestations in vehicle upholstery

From: N.J. Bud Goldstone <budgoldstone<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 8, 2005
Renita Ryan <ryan.renita [at] saugov__sa__gov__au> writes

>How have people treated insect infestations in vehicle upholstery?
>I have encountered an infestation of case making clothes moths in
>the woollen upholstery of a 1910 Daimler.  The seats are removable
>so will be able to be treated in the freezer, but what about the
>other woollen components that can not be removed from the vehicle? I
>am keen to know your experiences with this or a similar problem.

Here is only a lead on an answer. In the 1960s or 1970s, conservator
Steve Colton at Los Angeles County Museum Of Art (LACMA) was called
upon to rid a famous assemblage of actual auto parts named something
like 'Backseat 1939 Dodge' of infestation with male and female
figures in the back seat. Try LACMA Conservation Center, they may
recall.

N. J. Bud Goldstone
Art conservation engineer and author

                  Distributed: Monday, March 14, 2005