Subject: Battery

Battery

From: Patricia Sherwin Garland <patricia.garland<-a>
Date: Saturday, March 5, 2005
We have a sculpture by the artist David Wojnarowicz. It is composed
of a cow's skull that has be decoupaged with currency. It has a
small metal globe in its mouth and a Duracell D battery, decoupaged
with a map for its eye. The battery is leaking acid. I have
mechanically cleaned off what has surfaced, but am quite certain the
process will continue.

The artist is no longer living, so there is no possibility of asking
his opinion. Does anyone have any idea of a way to slow/stop the
process, or seal the battery, without compromising the piece?

Patricia Sherwin Garland
Senior Conservator
Yale University Art Gallery
PO Box 208271