Subject: Chloride and liquid ammonia

Chloride and liquid ammonia

From: Vegard Vike <v.a.vike<-a>
Date: Wednesday, March 2, 2005
At the Museum of Cultural History in Oslo, Norway, some of us are
considering doing some experiments with liquid ammonia for chloride
removal on archaeological objects. We are in contact with corrosion
chemists who will help us with the somewhat demanding equipment
setup. Does anyone here know of people using liquid ammonia on
archaeological iron, or have any experience using it?

The only relevant, written information I have found so far is this
article:

    Gilberg, Mark R. and Seeley, Nigel J.
    "Liquid ammonia as a solvent and reagent in conservation"
    Studies in conservation 27, no. 1 (1982), pp. 38-44,

Vegard Vike
Conservator
Museum of Cultural History
University of Oslo