Subject: Unfired decoration on Campanian ceramic

Unfired decoration on Campanian ceramic

From: Naoko Fukumaru <me<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 13, 2005
I am working on 4th century BC South Italian (Campanian) red-figure
oinochoe. Nike and another red-figure are painted in white with
orange detail lines. There is pink decoration around the continuous
black waveform pattern on the shoulder. It was broken into several
fragments and badly repaired.

During the examination, I discover that the black, white, orange and
pink decorations are unfired and solvent sensitive. Such as ethanol
and acetone. The body is fired ceramic.

Major iron, minor calcium and lead, and trace of zirconium, titanium
and manganese were detected on the black paint by XRF analysis.
Major lead and trace of calcium and iron were detected on the white
paint. Major lead and iron, minor calcium and faint trace of mercury
were detected on the pink paint. Major iron, minor calcium and trace
of lead and zirconium were detected on the ceramic body.

That the entire black decoration is solvent sensitive is actually
quite worrying. Does anyone have information about the Campanian
ceramic or the binding media and pigments of unfired decoration on
such ceramic?

Naoko Fukumaru
Assistant conservator in the Conservation of Sculpture and
    Decorative Art
The Detroit Institute of Arts
Center for Conservation
5200 Woodward Ave.