Subject: Displaying posters

Displaying posters

From: Patrya Kay <p.kay<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 3, 2005
The following is posted on behalf of Ian Batterham

Ann Douglas <adouglas [at] torontopubliclibrary__ca> writes

>Our gallery does not have security staff or cameras so security is
>an issue, and we screw all our frames to the wall. Are there better
>ways to display posters? How do other institutions display their
>posters?

    At the National Archives of Australia we have had a lot of
    success using a Lexan polycarbonate film for displaying items
    avoiding problems with glare. The specific type we use is
    product number 8A35, described as 'Velvet/Matte'. It is
    available in a range of thicknesses, we use thickness 0.010. The
    product has a shiny surface on one side and a matte surface on
    the other. When the shiny surface is up against the surface of
    the object the Lexan becomes almost invisible, the matte surface
    means that there are no problems with glare. The material is
    inert and can be used in exactly the same way as mylar, it also
    filters a reasonable amount of UV. We have been using it for
    many years with no problems.

    Ian Batterham
    National Archives of Australia

Patrya Kay