Subject: Source for fabric sought

Source for fabric sought

From: James Hay <james_hay<-a>
Date: Thursday, March 3, 2005
Sue Warren <swarren [at] technomuses__ca> writes

>I am conserving a swell-body sleigh from the 1880's, and am looking
>for a supplier for reproduction plush fabric.  Most of the dark red
>plush fabric is intact, however the seat cushion has unfortunately
>been lost. Does anyone know where this type of fabric can be
>purchased?

I had the opportunity to visit the workshops of "Prelle" in Lyon,
France last year. There I saw samples of their production, their
archives, their 18th C. jacquard looms, as well as their modern
hi-tech looms, and became aware of their expertise and involvement
in reproducing textiles for many refurbishing schemes for historic
houses around the world. If they do not have, or can't make,
whatever is required, they will surely know who can, so I suggest
contacting them next. They conveniently have an office in New York,
where Mme. Terry Wendell can be contacted. The contact information
follows:

    Prelle
    200 Lexington Avenue
    Suite 407
    New York, NY 10016
    212-683-2081
    Fax: 212-683-2142

James Hay
Senior Conservator, Furniture and Decorative Arts
Canadian Conservation Institute
1030 Innes Road
Ottawa, Ontario K1A 0M5
Canada