Subject: Bloom on lead

Bloom on lead

From: Will Jeffers <wjeffers<-a>
Date: Tuesday, March 1, 2005
Maria Saffiotti Dale <msaffiottidale [at] lvm__wisc__edu> writes

>I am seeking information on the recommended treatment, routine
>maintenance, and optimal display of a lead sculpture (Raymond
>Duchamp-Villon, "Le Cheval", 1914, cast 1950s; ex-Morton Neumann
>Family collection) which regularly "blooms." We have been
>maintaining it in-house by gently reducing the white oxide layer
>with very fine #0000 synthetic pads followed by the application of a
>coat of Renaissance wax.

I would be very surprised if it weren't off-gassing from the
casework itself which is causing the "bloom" to form on this piece.
Did the piece exhibit this problem before it was placed on display?

Will Jeffers
Collections Care Scientific Research Assistant
Scientific Research Laboratory
Museum of Fine Arts
465 Huntington Avenue
Boston MA 02115