Subject: Polyurethane wood sealants

Polyurethane wood sealants

From: Zee-Young Chin <zychin14<-a>
Date: Saturday, February 26, 2005
I have seen wooden backing boards in display cases and storage boxes
treated with liquid polyurethane. Stretcher bars are sealed with
polyurethane also for the same purpose.

How effective is a polyurethane coating as a barrier for acid
migration from wood?  I would also like to know how long
polyurethane has been used for this purpose and if it is stable and
safe as it ages.

Zee-Young Chin,
Student in conservation
Avignon, France