Subject: Pigeon droppings

Pigeon droppings

From: Mark Vine <vpackthread<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 27, 2005
Patrick Connor <paddytracy.connor1 [at] ntlworld__com>

>From a review of the literature I can find only two mentions of
>cleaning methods for such stains; John Ashurst recommends using a
>sponge or poultice with 1,1,1-trichlorothane and a UK company have
>produced an enzyme product to clean bird droppings from masonry.

A thixotropic gel poultice using Laponite might be worth further
consideration, as referenced in 'Conservation News', No 24, July
1984, in issue no 46, November 1991  and in the more recent 2003
publication "The Conservation of Furniture" by Nick Umney and Shayne
Rivers, ISBN 0750609583.

In place of 1,1,1-trichlorothane, which is now considered
carcinogenic here in Europe one might wish to consider the use of a
less harmful, non-flammable solvent product such as Leksol.

Leksol is a multipurpose solvent, namely n-Propyl Bromide, which is
growingly being used in Conservation to replace solvents such as
1,1,1-trichlorothane and Acetone for the making of consolidants and
adhesive mixtures and cleaning / degreasing solvents.

Further technical/application details on the chemicals and
information on publications mentioned is  available from our sites
in England and America.

Mark Vine
Conservation Resources
Oxford, England