Subject: Preservation of modern materials

Preservation of modern materials

From: Christina H. Tengner <christina.hallden.tengner<-a>
Date: Tuesday, February 22, 2005
The Swedish Air Force Museum and The Army Museum are in the process
of preserving an airplane (a DC-3) salvaged from the Baltic Sea in
2003. It was shot down in 1953 and is an object of great historical
value as a part of the history of the Cold War. It is also a
representation of a single event of major public interest.

We are now searching for similar objects and projects concerning the
preservation of modern materials such as aluminium, electronic
components, rubber and plastics and a range of organic materials
salvaged from a salty environment. We are interested in the entire
preservation process from "first aid" such as removal of chlorides
from a large object, surface treatment, cleaning of organic
materials, storage and display.

Information on related cases would be much appreciated.

Christina H. Tengner
Metallkonservator
Armemuseum
Box 14095