Subject: Tapa

Tapa

From: Douglas Stone <fulkerstone<-a>
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2005
Hartmut Kutzke <h.kutzke [at] uni-bonn__de> writes

>We are working on the conservation of a Tapa from Hawaii. Do anyone
>have information about the impregnation (oils, waxes, resins etc.)
>of such tapas? And on the binding media for pigments used in
>traditional Hawaiian artcraft? Furthermore, we are looking for a IR
>spectrum of candlenut.

Another book on Tapa is "Traditional Tapa Textiles of the Pacific"
by Roger Neich and Mick Pendergrast, Thames and Hudson, 1997.   For
an overview of Tapa artifacts (albeit from Fiji and the Tasmanian
Museum), try "Fijian Artifacts" by Rod Ewins, published by the
Tasmanian Museum and Art Gallery, Hobart, Tasmania, 7000.

Doug Stone
Fulkerstone Fine Arts Conservation LLC
Milwaukee, WI  USA

                 Distributed: Monday, February 28, 2005