Subject: Geotextile for Egyptian archaeological site

Geotextile for Egyptian archaeological site

From: Kent Severson <kjpsever<-a>
Date: Saturday, February 19, 2005
Noel Siver <noelsiver2 [at] yahoo__co__uk> writes

>I am seeking recommendations for a geotextile that would be suitable
>for use on an archaeological site in northwest Sinai, Egypt.

A couple of belated notes on geotextiles: In my experience,
polyester products do not hold up well in sunlight, or even in
burial, as well as polypropylene products, carbon black or no.  In
bright sun, the black products get very hot, where the lighter
colors do not (and geotextiles are increasingly available in a
variety of colors).  If  you are covering mudbrick structures or
even surfaces that will be excavated in  the future, woven textiles
will leave a distinctly woven impression where non-woven products
will leave a very indistinct impression. You also will probably want
to check out the research done by the Getty at Fort Selden and
elsewhere in which geotextiles play a part. Two big manufacturers
you might contact:

    Mirafi <URL:http://www.tcmirafi.com>
    (made by Ten Cate Nicolon, also try
    <URL:http://www.nicolon.com>