Subject: Consolidating leather

Consolidating leather

From: Jutta Gopfrich <j.goepfrich<-a>
Date: Friday, February 25, 2005
Dana Moffett <dmoffett [at] nmafa__si__edu> writes

>My question is this: in spite of Feller and Wilt's 1990 study
>indicating the long-term instability of Klucel G, is it still
>considered the best treatment choice for powdery leather?

In our lab we still use Klucel G solved in ethanol or acetone for
the consolidation of red rot powdery leather. But we have noticed
that there is sometimes a small difference in discoloration between
the solvent agents "ethanol and acetone" after the application. In
our opinion that depends on the different reactions of the tannins
in the items.

Jutta Goepfrich
Conservation Department
Deutsches Ledermuseum