Subject: Oil stain in book

Oil stain in book

From: Dawn Sanders <dsanders<-a>
Date: Thursday, February 17, 2005
I have a book with an oil stain, which seems to be some sort of
perfume oil, as you can smell the perfume in it when you are close
to it.  Though, the odor isn't really the main problem, because it
doesn't smell at all when the book is closed.  The main problem is
that the oil/perfume stain appears to have originated on the front
end-sheet of the book and has absorbed through about seven
additional pages.  The stain becomes decreasingly smaller on each
page until you can barely tell it's there by the seventh page. Will
the stain continue to migrate further into the book? How do I treat
this?

The collections librarian would like for me to "tape over the spot,"
which doesn't seem quite right, though I'm not exactly sure what
would be a good solution to the problem.  I'd appreciate any
suggestions those on DistList may have.  Thanks so much,

Dawn E. Sanders
Nelson-Atkins Museum of Art
Spencer Art Reference Library
4525 Oak St.