Subject: Consolidating leather

Consolidating leather

From: Dana Moffett <dmoffett<-a>
Date: Friday, February 11, 2005
We are treating an African tunic constructed in a patchwork fashion
using squares of both textile and leather.  The leather exhibits
symptoms of red rot--powdery with loss in the grain layer--and
requires consolidation.  A survey of the literature and Consdist
Archives indicates that either Beva 371 or Klucel G are the favored
consolidants for deteriorating leather. Unfortunately, the Beva
consolidant significantly darkens the leather in this piece.

My question is this: in spite of Feller and Wilt's 1990 study
indicating the long-term instability of Klucel G, is it still
considered the best treatment choice for powdery leather?

Dana Moffett
Senior Conservator
National Museum of African Art
Smithsonian Institution