Subject: Maiolica pitcher

Maiolica pitcher

From: Naoko Fukumaru <me<-a>
Date: Sunday, February 13, 2005
I am working on circa 1430 anonymous Italian pitcher. The pitcher
has a cylindrical body with a shaped lip and a flat handle. A lion
is decorated in blue on the tin glaze. The foot from another pitcher
was previously attached with adhesive.

After the removal of the foot from another pitcher, I discover that
the pitcher has no base (foot). The break edge seems jagged with
tool before firing and the break edge is entirely covered with
original tin glaze. I am wondering whether the base has broken
during the firing and the glaze has run to the break edge or
baseless is on purpose. Does anyone see the baseless pitcher like
this? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

Naoko Fukumaru
Assistant conservator
Sculpture and Decorative Art
The Detroit Institute of Arts